The goal of this scholarship is to assist 15-20 full-time ASCE/SEI Civil Engineering Student Members (all levels B.S., M.S., Ph.D.) to develop and expand their professional opportunities and careers through the ETS Conference. The scholarship is made possible by the SEI Futures Fund.
The scholarship provides complimentary registration and travel assistance for selected student members to attend and actively participate at the ETS in-person conference.
The selected scholarship recipients will be assigned a conference committee member (a working professional in the industry) as an informal mentor to shadow and assist at the conference. This mentor involvement will allow the student to immerse themselves in the full conference and networking experience.
The scholarship will be offered at 2 levels:
- Tier 1: Scholarship covers full conference (including pre-conference workshop) registration, economy travel with minimum 14-day advance purchase and the ASCE standard $135 per diem for up to 5 nights (to be used toward lodging and other expenses). This is not a full reimbursement. Travel and per diem is reimbursable to recipients following the conference with full participation and completion of the scholarship requirements.
- Tier 2: Scholarship covers full conference registration (including pre-conference workshop) and only is intended for applicants that would be attending the conference without need for travel or per diem reimbursement.
The applicant must be a full-time student member of ASCE/SEI (age 18 years or older) and first-time attendee to the ETS Conference. (Student membership to ASCE/SEI is free).
The applicants will be evaluated according to:
- How the applicant's attendance at the ETS Conference would serve to benefit their current engineering curriculum.
- The applicant's short-term goals (1–4 years after graduation).
- The applicant's long-term goals (5 years after graduation).
- Volunteer and/or professional organization participation.
- GPA or stated need of support are used by review committee when scores are close.
Recipients are required to participate in an orientation conference call(s) prior to the conference, a brief welcome on-site Sunday, September 19, and participate in the complete in-person conference starting with the pre-conference workshop on Sunday, September 19 through closing on Wednesday, September 22.
Recipients are required to submit a narrative on their experience by October 7 (this is a requirement for travel reimbursement). Narratives may be used in SEI communications.
Up to 20 student scholarships are available. Deadline to apply by is . Selected recipients will be notified by May 14, 2021.